Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Grade K-5 Video- Infrared: More than Your Eyes Can See

The videos that I watched was a video geared toward K-5. The video explained what infrared light was, and how fir fighters can use it to find people trapped in a fire or someone what is lost in the woods. The video also explained that all things, hot and cold, give off light called infrared light. Something that is hot gives off brighter light, and something that is cold gives off darker light. In the video, students get to see different animals under infrared light, which is really cool. They also get to see the podcaster place her hands in a garbage bag, and then turn on the infrared light, and you can see through the bag!! What is really cool is that infrared light can't penetrate through glass because the glass is so think, the podcaster also explains this.
This podcast is a great tool for students to see. I think as a teacher I will use this podcast. The podcaster explains infrared light in every detail, but uses tools that you can't bring into the classroom. At one point we get to see a rhino under infrared light, I think that I would lose my job if I brought one in!!
I think I could use this podcast and others just like it almost like a virtual field trip. The podcast also helps to explain the subject really well, and acts like a reinforcement for the subject. I could see myself using podcasts so that my students can better understand any subject.

No comments: