Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"Growth" vs. "Fixed" Mindset- Stanford University

I never knew there were such things as growth mindsets or fixed mindsets. Standford University conducted a study with many students. Half the students were put in a class where they just learned study skills. These were the "fixed" mindset students who wanted to be smart and would try to be smart. The other class was also given study skills, but also had other lessons of growth mindsets. These lessons were simple but taught students that they had to exercise their brain, that they had to think higher to achieve what they wanted. By the end of the semester the teachers, who did not know there were two studies going on, could pick out the students who were taught growth mindsets.
Carol Dweck, Professor of Psychology, one of the people conducted the study, wrote a book about growth and fixed mindsets. She was later contacted by a race car driver who wanted to find out if drivers had a fixed mindsets. The driver wanted to know that if someone in a competition race made a mistake, were they set up for failure because of their mindset.
The different mindsets are interesting. I want my students to all have growth mindsets, and I know that I will have to be one of the people that teaches them this. I don't want my students to be set up for failure because they make one mistake, I want them to know that we must keep going and prevail over that mistake!

No comments: